This is a very special recipe to me in particular. It’s one of the first things I learned as a cook professionally. That, and it’s fricken yummy.
125g Whole Milk
300g AP Flour
8ea Whole Egg – Room Temp
280g Shredded Gruyere Cheese
1. In a medium pot, bring the butter, milk, and water to a boil.
2. Slowly incorporate the salt, flour and baking powder.
3. Continue to cook the mixture on medium heat for 5 minutes while stirring. Make sure not to scorch the mixture.
4. Once the flour has cooked, take off the heat and add gruyere and mix.
5. Transfer entire mixture into a Stand Mixer with the paddle attachment.
6. On medium speed, slowly add eggs making sure not to cool the mixture down.
7. Allow mixing for 8 minutes on medium speed.
8. Put the mixture into a piping bag and pipe 1/oz portions onto a greased baking sheet.
9. Bake at 325F for 6 minutes and turn.
10. Allow baking for an additional 8 minutes.
11. Take out of the oven.
These are best enjoyed warm. I like to add a small dollop of chive sour cream on top but really you can put anything. Maybe even garlic aioli or your favorite cheese dip.