With the holiday season here, it’s the perfect time for warm pies 🙂
Try this one:
340g (12oz) Sifted AP Flour
4g (1 tsp) Salt
230g (8oz) Cold Butter (Cut into Small Cubes)
60g (1/4cup) Very Cold Water
- In a large bowl, put half of the flour and form a well in the center of the mound.
- In the well, add the salt, butter, and water.
- With your fingers, slowly combine the mixture.
- Slowly add the remaining flour as you mix.
- Once your dough has taken shape, you can transfer it to a wooden board and begin kneading.
- Do not over knead the dough. There should still be visible spots of butter throughout your dough by the time you finish.
- When your dough is smooth and all the flour has been incorporated. Wrap it with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least an hour before you roll it out.
I’ve used this dough for many recipes. Sweet pies, savory pies, pithiviers wellingtons. It’s highly versatile.
*Note: Recipe measurements will always be more accurate when measuring in grams. Reference this:
Photo credit: Anita Austvika