I recently went on a short trip to Portland Oregon for this winter break between semesters. The large part of it I spent sampling the local food and beverage scene which I found to be really unique in its own west coastal way.
Something I wasn’t expecting was a gem of a diner in the center of downtown Portland and probably one of the best breakfasts I’ve had in recent memory. I don’t know where this place sourced its ingredients but there was a distinct freshness and “love,” put into the food you rarely see in short order cooking, or really in any cooking.
The diner was called The Daily Feast where I had an extremely delicious smoothie. The recipe below is my simplified version of what I had there.
- 1/2ea Ripe Avocado – Peeled – Pitted
- 2 ea Ripe Kiwi – Peeled
- 16g Lime Juice
- 2g Lime Zest
- 32g Coconut Milk
- 8g Honey
- 60g Cold Water
- In a blender, first place the water, coconut milk and lime juice.
- Next add the kiwis, avocado, lime zest, and honey (in that order).
- Put the lid on the blender.
- Turn on the blender with a low speed and allow ingredients to incorporate slowly for 30 seconds.
- Turn off blender and scrape the sides with a rubber spatula.
- Put the lid back on the blender and now blend on high speed for 30 seconds until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Turn off blender and pour the smoothie into a chilled glass.
I don’t really review restaurants mainly because it’s not my place to judge other peoples hard work. I know first hand the stresses of that field and I would never disrespect the individuals who show me such warm hospitality. Regardless, I would like to share with you this recipe inspired by one very pleasant memory in Portland 🙂
Inspired by: The Daily Feast PDX